Thursday, December 11, 2008

YES TRAINER, I AM A GRANDMA!

Three weeks ago while working out with a trainer at the gym I strained the connective tissues that connect my ribs to my sternum. I'm calling it a strained sternum. Like with most injuries, one is not aware how important that area of the body is until it is injured. This hurt when I would laugh, cough, sneeze, breath, use my arms, lay down, sit up, roll over. Let's see...that pretty much covers it.
It happened while doing the T-Bar exercise and my trainer said "I don't usually do this, but let's try it." So I tried it and wish I hadn't.
After two weeks of icing, sleeping on my back with a heating pad propped up with a mountain of pillows, and just generally suffering and enduring, I noticed some improvement. I can now dress myself and Rusty said that I am finally walking normally. I guess I had been 'sheltering' myself' with my chest pulled in and walking very cautiously like on egg shells not knowing what would send off a shooting pain in my chest. From compensating in that way I got a kink in my back between my shoulder blades. So I went to a chiropractor in our little town and he said that the ribs that had been strained on the sternum were out of place on the spine. He did a little "pop! pop!" and there was improvement.
This week, after a week since my appointment with the chiropractor, I went to my favorite massage therapist. She was gentle, careful but very therapeutic! Ahhhh, if I could only take her home with me.
Rusty has said in the past that I am not a good sick person. I tell him that "it has been proven" that cranky sick people get better faster that sweet docile ones. He doesn't believe that but maybe he just wishes I was easier to live with when I'm injured or sick. I give it about a day, maybe two, and then I'm through with it.
So this has been a lesson in patience. Another one? I'm thinking that I'd better not plan on any workouts or strenuous exercise until after the first of the year. I'll just enjoy my walks on the beach and my craving for chocolate and goodies that seem to go with my inactivity. Opps! That means more workouts later, right?
This is also a lesson in taking more responsibility for my body i.e. not doing a workout I'm hesitant about. I know my own body best and besides that, I think my trainer forgets that I'm a grandma!

2 comments:

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Yes, Grandma, you need to be careful. And, you're right, I don't believe that cranky people get better faster - it's just that the hospital, doctor, nurses, chiropractors, etc. tell them they are better so they will get out of their hair.

Rusty

Susie Taylor said...

I am so sorry to hear about your injury! I can't imagine you being a cranky patient. We have had a lot of sick people at our house the last 2.5 months. We have been through strep, stomach flu, colds, and sinus infections. I am through with winter, and it hasn't even started yet, OH NO!