Saturday, December 27, 2008

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

(This post is out of cronological order but it is something I wrote on my anniversary.)

Dec 19, 2008
Today is Don’s and mine forty fifth wedding anniversary! How can that be? That is only five years away from the fiftieth and people are old when they celebrate that. I am certainly not old. And I have friends who have recently or will soon celebrate their fiftieth as well and they aren’t old either. It is a relative thing and gives me more appreciation for people who REALLY are old. I’ll bet they don’t feel old either.
I wish Don was still with me to celebrate this day, to see how our children are doing (but I'm sure he knows), to enjoy the family events and see the grandchildren growing up. But I am grateful I have Rusty to share these things with me. It would be horribly lonely if I didn’t. I think of my ‘widow friends’ who haven’t found anyone to share their lives with and I am reminded of the heart aches that go with the emptiness I used to feel. Actually there is still an emptiness but it doesn’t hurt quite as much. It is Don’s place in my heart that will always be empty until we are together again.
Recently Rusty and I have had the opportunity to teach the Temple Preparation classes. One set of classes was given to a young couple . She was receiving her endowment and being married to her returned missionary sweetheart. The other class was for a sister about eighty who wanted to receive her endowment and be sealed to her husband who has been deceased for seven years. Her daughter and son-in-law will be sealed and she will be able to witness that and then participate in her own family miracle. What a glorious day that will be!
Teaching these classes has made me more keenly and gratefully aware of the promised blessing awaiting Don and me to be together forever. “Happily NEVER ending” as Rusty’s daughter Nanette says or “Happily FOREVER after” as I like to say.
This isn’t a fairy tale ending but a reality! I know this to be true!

No comments: